This caramel cake is so delicious it will become a staple in your dessert repertoire!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened, 1/2 cup)
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipped to soft peaks)
- 3 cups dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease three 9in cake pans, line with parchment and grease parchment.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of buttermilk, whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the butter, canola oil, and remaining buttermilk and mix to combine. Add the egg mixture in three parts, stirring to combine. Do not over mix. Fold the whipped cream into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bang cake pans on the counter to release any air bubbles. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top springs back and cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire baking rack. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out to cool completely before frosting. Frost with caramel icing.
- For the Caramel Icing: in a medium saucepan, add the brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in butter and salt.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool completely. Transfer caramel mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar. With the whisk attachment, whisk until combined and smooth. Pour over each layer of the cake. Let the frosting drip over the sides to cover. Allow to harden.
- Helpful Tip: This is a great make-ahead dessert!
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Cakes Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Desserts
rate this recipe
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese