Perfect for a weekend brunch.
Carla Hall's Pumpkin French Toast with Apple Cider Syrup and Spiced Pecans
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Loaf Challah or Brioche thick-sliced and day-old (punch out in rounds)
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted Butter (cut into tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Pinch Salt
- Powdered Sugar
- 2 cup Apple Cider or Apple Juice
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 cup Raw Pecan Halves
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
- Prepare syrup: Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in saucepan. Pour in apple and lemon juices. Cook and stir constantly until thickened and it comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minutes and continue to stir. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve warm over French toast.
- Prepare mix: Combine all ingredients (except bread), and mix well.
- Soak bread: The night before, or 6 hours before, dip the bread slices in the milk mixture (one at a time) and place the bread in a glass baking dish. Continue until all the bread has been dipped. Store in fridge.
- Cooking it up: Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat or use nonstick cooking spray. Place bread slices in the pan and cook until golden on 1 side, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the slices over and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes longer. Wipe the pan out with paper towels and repeat with the remaining butter, oil, and bread.
- When ready to serve top french toast with spiced pecans, syrup and powdered sugar.
- For Spiced Pecans: Preheat oven to 250. Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- Combine the salt and spices. Set aside. In a stainless bowl, beat egg white until frothy. Slowly whisk in the spices. Toss egg mixture with pecans. Spread on prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, gently stirring every 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Allow nuts to cool and dry out.
- Store in an airtight container.