The ginger is an amazing twist on this traditional dessert
Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
- For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Natural Apple Sauce; unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Carrots
- 4 ounces Raw Pecans; chopped
- Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 ounces raw Pecans; chopped
- 6 ounces Neufchatel; or 1/3 less Fat Cream Cheese
- 3 ounces Unsalted Butter; softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, mix the Sugar, Oil, Egg and Apple Sauce.
- Sift the dry ingredients together, including the spices, Carrots, and 4 ounces of pecans and slowly incorporate into the wet, beating until just incorporated. Fold in the Carrots and the Pecans.
- Using a 2 ounce ice cream scoop, generously scoop the batter into the cupcake pan. Fill the batter almost to the top of the muffin liners. Bake for 24-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean, be sure to rotate the pan halfway through the baking time.
- While the cupcakes bake, toast 2 ounces of Chopped Pecans on the stove over medium-high heat until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes (be careful not to burn). Cream together Neufchatel, Butter, Ground Ginger, Confectioner’s Sugar and Lemon Juice until light and fluffy.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. When removing from pan, be careful to loosen any edges with a butter knife that might be stuck to the pan. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost each generously with the frosting (about 2-3 tablespoons each) and top each with a sprinkling of toasted pecans. Enjoy!