Integrate cheddar cheese into the crust for a savory note to these not-too-sweet bars.
Cheddar Apple Crumble Bars
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 3/4 cups finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- 12 ounces Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Ice Cream; to serve
- Apple Compote:
- 6 Granny Smith or Tart Apples; peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Lemons; zest & juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13" cake pan with cooking spray. Line with a long strip of parchment so that the ends stick up past the pan on both ends. Spray again with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together Flour, Sugar and Salt in a large bowl. Add Cheese and stir to coat in Flour, making sure to break up clumps. Beat in the Butter until crumbly. Remove 2/3 of the dough to a lightly floured board and knead just until smooth.
- Press the smooth portion of the dough into the bottom of the prepared cake pan to form a 1/4" thick base.
- Spread the cooled compote mixture over dough to create a 1" thick layer. Sprinkle the crumbled dough over top. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. Cool in fridge for 30 minutes before cutting into rectangles.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Serve with a small scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
- For Apple Compote:
Place ingredients in a wide pot, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.