Try this specialty mac and cheese at home!
S'MAC's Cheeseburger Mac
- 2/3 pound elbow macaroni (yield: 4 cups cooked)
1 ?? cup whole milk
1 ?? tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 ?? tablespoon unsalted butter
4 ounce american cheese (shredded)
4 ounce sharp yellow cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 400?? F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook the pasta until al dente, 8 ??? 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and rinse with cold water. Place in a large mixing bowl. Add a touch of olive oil and toss lightly.
- In a saut?? pan, over medium heat, saut?? the ground beef. Drain the fat off and place back on the heat. Add the onion, garlic, mustard, ketchup and salt and pepper to taste. Brown the mixture well. Remove from stove.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the milk to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the flour, cooking for 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to brown the mixture. Slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly (this will ensure that there are no lumps).
- Add the cheddar and american cheeses. Stir frequently, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is slightly thickened. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir and pour the mixture over the pasta. Add the hamburger mixture and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Combine the 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese and ?? cup breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the macaroni.
- Bake for approximately 10 ??? 15 minutes at 400?? F. If you desire a crisp top, broil on high for 2 minutes at the end.