Chicken and Herby Dumplings
Great for the family!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (stems removed, thinly sliced)
- 1 yellow onion (peeled, small dice)
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only, root end removed, thinly sliced into rounds)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, smashed)
- 2 carrots (peeled, small dice)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups organic chicken stock
- 5 sprigs thyme (ties with butcher's twine)
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup parsley (roughly chopped, to garnish)
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme (leaves only, roughly chopped)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, cut into cubes)
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chicken, in batches if necessary, and brown the chicken on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the Dutch oven and saute until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion, leeks, garlic and carrots and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Deglaze the Dutch oven with white wine and cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and chicken with any accumulated juices back to the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, and cover with a lid. Place on the center rack of the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- For the Herby Dumplings: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, pulse together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, tarragon, chives and thyme. Add butter and pulse again until just combined. Add the yogurt and pulse until the mixture comes together. Remove to clean surface and form the dough into a shaggy disk.
- Remove the pot from the oven, place on the stove and remove the lid. Adjust the setting on the oven to broil. Bring soup to a simmer over medium heat. Using your hands, break apart the dough into golf ball-sized pieces. Drop the dough pieces into the pot, cover, and allow to cook for another 12-15 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked through.
- Return the pot to center rack of the oven and broil, uncovered until dumplings are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve!
- Tip: Use the meat from a rotisserie chicken to cut down and prep and cook time!
rate this recipe
Seaside Crab Dip
Charred Broccoli Salad
BBQ Ranch Chicken Pull-Apart Sliders
Garlic Parmesan Ranch Chicken with Potatoes
Toasted Almond Bons
Chopped Cheese Sandwich
Sweet and Spicy Lemonade Grilled Chicken
Cherry Pink Lemonade
Dutch-Oven Peach Cobbler