Chicken Divan with Kale
A dish you could make any night of the week!
- step-by-step directions
Chicken Divan with Kale
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups kale (ribs removed, roughly chopped)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more for greasing)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (heated)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated, divided)
- 1 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese (grated, divided)
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with a clean dish towel. Butter a baking dish and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, add chicken breasts, chicken stock and season with salt and pepper. Once liquid begins to simmer, reduce heat to low and poach until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 160ºF, about 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the stock and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, reserving the stock for another use. Place cubed chicken in a large bowl.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the kale, season with salt and pepper and saute until kale has wilted, about 5-6 minutes.
- In a medium saute pan, over medium heat, add the butter and allow to melt. Whisk in the flour, continuing to whisk until flour is toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Add the heated milk, whisking together and cooking until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup of Parmesan, 1 cup of Gruyere, and continue whisking until cheese has melted and sauce is creamy. Whisk in cream sherry, thyme and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in wilted kale.
- Remove the cheese mixture to the large bowl with chicken, stirring to combine.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the remaining Parmesan, Gruyere and panko breadcrumbs.
- To Assemble: Pour the chicken, kale and cheese filling into the baking dish and top with the cheese and breadcrumb mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- Tip: Make ahead! Assemble the casserole and freeze before baking to have on hand for a stress-free weeknight meal!
Similar categories: Chicken
Ricotta Gnudi with Brown Butter and Sage
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce