Grandma Daisy beat out all the other grandma's with this delicious family meal. Treat your family to it tonight.
Chicken and Dumplings
- For the Chicken:
- 6 chicken legs (with or without skin)
- 6 chicken thighs (with or without skin)
- 3 liter chicken stock
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon soul seasoning
- salt to taste
- For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup pancake mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup carnation evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2-3 icecubes
- For the Chicken: Season chicken legs and thighs with the chicken seasoning, lemon pepper, garlic powder, soul seasoning and salt. Prick chicken all over with fork to let the seasoning absorb.
- Chop the celery and onion.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, over medium-high heat, sear the chicken. Once browned on all sides, add the vegetables. Add about 3 liters of chicken stock, or enough to cover (about half a finger above the chicken. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- For the Dumplings: In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, pancake mix, seasoning salt and onion powder and stir in the water, milk and ice cubes. The batter should be medium thick.
- Use a soup spoon to help shape the dumplings. Start adding the dumplings to the pot of boiling chicken once the chicken is cooked through. Cover the pot and let boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.