Spice your night up with this tasty enchilada casserole.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole by Clinton Kelly
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more for frying)
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 cups Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 18 Corn Tortillas
- 4 cups Rotisserie Chicken (shredded)
- 1 cups Mexican Crema or Sour Cream
- 1 pound Jack Cheese (shredded; 1 cup reserved for topping)
- 2 cups Salsa Fresca
- 1 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- Queso Fresco
- Mexican Crema
- Chopped Avocados
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Lime Wedges to serve; optional
- For the enchilada sauce, heat Oil in a medium saucepan. Add the Onions and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the Garlic and cook until fragrant, another minute. Add the Flour and dried Spices and toast for one minute. Add the Tomato Puree, Chicken Stock and Salt. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce has slightly thickened. Remove from heat and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Heat1/4 inch of Vegetable Oil in a medium skillet to 350º F. Using tongs, dip the Tortillas into the oil one at a time for 10 seconds. Set aside and keep warm. Then dip each tortilla into the warm Enchilada Sauce. In a 9x9 baking dish, lay 4 of the smothered Tortillas in an even layer. Then spread half of the shredded Chicken on top of the Tortillas. Continue to build even layers with half of the following ingredients: Mexican Crema, Jack cheese, Salsa Fresca and Cilantro. Repeat the layers starting with the Tortillas. Top the casserole with another layer of Tortillas and sprinkle the reserved Jack Cheese over.
- Bake casserole for 20 minutes, or until the Cheese has melted.
- Serve with Queso Fresco, Mexican Crema, copped Avocados, Pickled Jalapenos and Lime Wedges.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Spicy Chicken Dishes Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Mexican