Learn to make rotisserie style chicken at home using only a string and a fireplace
Chicken on a String by Michael Symon
- 1 3-4 pound Chicken
- 1 Lemon (halved)
- 1 head Garlic (halved)
- 1 small bunch Fresh Sage
- 1 small bunch Fresh Thyme
- 1 small bunch Fresh Rosemary
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (softened)
- The night before, clean your Chicken by removing any parts that are inside the cavity. Season the Chicken well with Kosher Salt on the inside as well as the outside. Refrigerate.
- The next day, remove your Chicken from the refrigerator and let the chill come off of it, about 1 hour. In the meantime, build your fire.
- Stuff the Chicken with the Lemon, Garlic and Herbs. Add some Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to the outside then rub the whole Chicken with the softened Butter. Truss the Chicken, leaving plenty of string to hang the Chicken with as well.
- When the fire has died down a little bit to red embers, hang the Chicken about 1 foot away from it and cook for 1-1.5 hours, until golden brown and the internal temperature registers 160°F when measured. Cut the Chicken down and rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
Similar categories: Dinner