Fried Tortillas with Chicken and Beans
Daphne Oz's Chicken Tostadas
- 2 cups Rotisserie Chicken (shredded)
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (pureed)
- 1/2 can Chipotle in Adobo
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- 1/2 small Sweet Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 14 .5-ounce can Refried Beans
- 2 cups Napa Cabbage (shredded)
- 1 cup Cotija Cheese (crumbled)
- Pickled Jalapenos to taste
- Pickled Red Onions (thinly sliced; to taste)
- Avocado (sliced)
- Crema (or Creme Fraiche; to drizzle)
- Lime Wedges to garnish
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper
- In a small pot, combine the fire roasted tomatoes and chipotles in adobo. Add the chicken and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken has absorbed some of the tomatoes and chipotle and flavors meld.
- Heat 1/2-inch of oil in a skillet over medium high. Fry the tortillas until golden and crisp and remove to a paper towel lined plate to blot.
- In a small saute pan, saute the finely chopped onion with a few tablespoons of olive oil until caramelized. Add the refried beans and mash into the onions. Stir until the beans are warm.
- Assemble the tostadas by spread a layer of refried beans on the fried tortillas, and topping with the shredded chicken, cabbage, cotija cheese, pickle jalapenos, pickled red onions, sliced avocado and drizzle with crema. Garnish with lime wedges.