Chicken Yassa (Senegalese Chicken with Caramelized Onions)
Carla Hall's Chicken Yassa is super simple and delicious!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 limes (zested, juiced)
- 1 1- inch piece ginger (thinly sliced)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (slit)
- 1 onion (peeled, sliced)
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns (crushed)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 chicken leg quarters
Chicken and Onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon ginger (peeled, minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup pitted green olives (sliced)
- white rice (cooked, to serve)
- parsley (chopped, to garnish)
- For the Marinade: In a large zip top bag add the vinegar, lime zest and juice, ginger, scotch bonnet, onion, peppercorns, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, add the chicken thighs and allow to marinate for 4-5 hours in the refrigerator. When ready to sear, remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to cooking to come to room temperature.
- For the Chicken and Onions: In a large Dutch oven add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Season with additional salt and pepper and add to the Dutch oven, skin-side down. Sear until golden brown, about 4 minutes, flip and allow to sear on the other side, another 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions and cook, over medium heat, until caramelized, about 25 minutes. Once caramelized, add the thyme sprigs, ginger, allspice and cayenne and cook another minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock, scraping the browned bits up from the bottom of the pan, and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken thighs back to the pot, the stock should come halfway up the chicken thighs, cover and continue to simmer for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through, or a meat thermometer registers 165ºF. Stir in the olives during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve the chicken and onions over white rice. Garnish with parsley.
- Tip: Marinate the chicken up to 12 hours in advance!
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat