A delicious meatless option!
- step-by-step directions
- 3 cups chickpeas (drained, 1 large can)
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup green olives or dill pickles (chopped)
- 1 small carrot (blanched, diced)
- 2 tablespoons scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon white mild miso
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- cornmeal (for dredging)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (for dredging)
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 6 whole wheat buns
- green lettuce (to serve)
- dill pickle slices (to serve)
- tomato (sliced, to serve)
- red onion (sliced, to serve)
- vegan tahini (to serve)
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas with a potato masher. Mix in oats, olives or pickles, diced carrot, and scallions. In a separate bowl, blend together miso, soy sauce (or tamari), mustard, and maple syrup and add the blend to the chickpea mixture. Form the mixture into palm-sized patties and dredge them in cornmeal and salt.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of safflower oil over medium heat. Fry each patty on both sides for 5 minutes. When oil is gone, re-oil the pan for the next round of patties. On the bottom bun place the lettuce, then top with the patty, pickle slices, tomato and onion. Spread tahini on top bun and place bun on top of burger. You can also serve the burger without a bun.
- Tip: This burger mixture freezes well for later use.
Similar categories: Burgers
Mexican Street Corn Salad
Black Bean Dip with Spiced Pita Chips
Roasted Pickled Pepper Hero
Shoestring Fries with Garlic and Rosemary
Mexican Chocolate Sweet Potato Milkshake
Latin Turkey Burger with Raclette Cheese
Cream Cheese-Stuffed Sweet Buns
Pork Burgers with Grilled Peaches, Bacon & Blue Cheese
Cracklin' Mozzarella Sticks with Tomato Basil Salad