Tortillas, eggs, and salsa...what else could you want for a fantastic Mexican inspired breakfast?!?
- Tomatillo Sauce
- 8 Tomatillos (husked; washed & halved)
- 1 large Red Onion (peeled & sliced)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (peeled & smashed)
- 1 Jalapeno (split lengthwise)
- Olive Oil
- 4 Blue Corn Tortillas (cut into strips)
- 2 teaspoons Chipotles in Adobo (pureed)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons FreshLlime Juice
- 1 1/4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves (roughly chopped)
- Scrambled Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- 8 large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Queso Fresco
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
- 8 Whole 6" Blue Corn Tortillas
- Picked Cilantro
- Cotija Cheese
- thinly sliced Radish
- thinly sliced Jalapeno
- Preheat your oven to 500°F.
- For the Tomatillo Sauce: On a sheet tray, spread out the Tomatillos, Onion, Garlic and Jalapenos in an even layer. Drizzle with Olive Oil then place in the oven to roast for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, the vegetables will soften and begin to give up their juices and caramelize. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- After the Tomatillo mixture comes out of the oven, heat a sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add 1/4 cup of Olive Oil to the pan along with the Tortilla strips. Cook, stirring occasionally until the Tortillas begin to brown and crisp. After the Tortillas are crisp, drain on paper towels.
- In a blender, combine the roasted Tomatillo mixture along with any pan juices, the Chipotle puree, Lime Juice, Chicken Stock, Cilantro and puree until relatively smooth. Add an additional 1/4 cup of Olive Oil as you puree to loosen it up a bit. Keep Chicken Stock on hand to thin the sauce as needed. Pour in to a small sauce pot to keep warm while you finish the rest of the dish.
- For the Fried Whole Tortillas: Place the Vegetable Oil in a sauce pot over medium heat and bring it to about 350°F. Drop your whole Tortillas in 1 or 2 at a time, being careful not to overcrowd and bring the temperature of the Oil down. Fry on both sides until light golden brown and crisp then remove to a platter lined with paper towels to drain and lightly season with Salt. Repeat until all of your Tortillas are fried then set aside.
- For the Scrambled Eggs: Place a sauté pan over medium heat. In the meantime, scramble your Eggs in a bowl until completely combined. Whisk in the Queso Fresco. When the pan is hot, add the Butter and swirl it around as it melts to coat the pan. Pour in your Eggs and continue to scramble them in the pan so you have small curds. Season with Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper and cook until desired doneness.
- To Assemble: Place 1 Whole Crispy Tortilla on a plate. Spoon a little of the Tomatillo sauce over the top so the Tortilla starts to soften. Add some of the scrambled Eggs followed by a sprinkle of Cotija Cheese and a few sprigs of Cilantro. Add some more sauce over the top if you prefer. Serve with additional garnishes like thinly sliced Radish and Jalapeno.