A delicious dessert that's so good it'll make you feel like you're floating on cloud nine!
Chocolate Almond Nests
- Coconut Nests
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2/3 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 cups Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate Mousse
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 large Eggs (separated)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg White
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 6 tablespoons Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Toasted Almonds (to garnish)
- Melted Chocolate (to drizzle)
- For Nests: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the Egg Whites until frothy. Stir in the Sweetened Condensed Milk, Almond Extract and Salt. Stir in the coconut until fully incorporated.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Press your thumb into the center of each to form an indent (nest).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely for 2 minutes. Press your thumb in the center of each one more time to make a nice nest. Allow to cool completely.
- For Mousse: In a double boiler, melt the Chocolate and Butter. Allow to cool slightly then mix in the Egg Yolks and Vanilla. Cover, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, whip the Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar until foamy, then gradually add two teaspoons of Sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, yet the Whites are still glossy and not dry. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the Heavy Cream and remaining Sugar until soft peaks form.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of the Egg White mixture into the Chocolate mixture, and then gently fold the Egg Whites into the Chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in the Whipped Cream.
- Divide the mouse between the nest and top with Almonds and drizzle with Chocolate.
- Chill until ready to serve.