Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Inspired by Queen of England!
- step-by-step directions
For the Cake:
- 1 pound shortbread cookies
- 1 pound unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 pound semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 3/4 pound dark chocolate (chopped)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup walnuts (toasted and chopped)
For the Ganache:
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 4 ounces milk chocolate (melted)
- For the Cake: Prepare a 9-inch spring form pan with a parchment round and a collar that is 1-inch higher than the side of the spring form.
- Break up the shortbread cookies into 3/4-inch pieces by hand and set aside in a bowl until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl set on top of a pot of boiling water, combine the semisweet chocolate and dark chocolate and melt together. Remove from heat and set aside until slightly cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugars and salt until combined. Slowly stir in the melted chocolate. Add in the eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Remove from the stand mixer and fold in the cookie pieces and walnuts until they are thoroughly coated in the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared spring form pan and smooth the surface with an offset spatula. Transfer to the refrigerator and let set for at least 4 hours.
- For the Ganache: Put the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring the cream and corn syrup just to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to combine. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 10 minutes. Whisk until smooth and shiny. Use immediately.
- To Serve: Remove the cake from the refrigerator and take off the ring and discard the parchment collar. Pour the ganache over the cake, smoothing the tops and side with an offset spatula. Decorate the cake with thin lines of melted milk chocolate. Loosen the cake from the bottom of the spring form, remove the parchment and transfer the cake onto your serving dish. Slice and serve.
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat