Don't be fooled by the candy corporations, you can make your own crunchy sweet candy bars at home!
Chocolate Caramel Crunch Bars by Michael Symon
- 90 Thin; Buttery Crackers (3 sleeves or 1 box)
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 Bag; Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more as needed)
- Prepare a straight -sided 9 by 13-inch pan by lightly spraying it with Cooking Spray then lining it with wax paper. Lightly spray the wax paper as well. Using 1 sleeve of Crackers, or about 30, line the bottom of the pan with a single, even layer. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepot, combine the Butter, Sugar, Brown Sugar and Milk. Bring it to a boil, whisking occasionally. Next whisk in the Graham Crumbs and boil for 5 more minutes over medium heat, whisking occasionally. The mixture will darken and thicken. Turn the heat off and pour half of the mixture over the Crackers. Spread evenly with an offset spatula then put down another layer of Crackers. Pour the other half of the cooked sugar mixture over the second layer of Crackers and spread evenly. Put down the final layer of Crackers, pressing gently. Let sit at room temperature for about 2 hours, until everything is set and firm.
- Set up a double boiler by filling a small sauce-pot halfway with water. Bring the water to a simmer then place a mixing bowl over the top but not touching the water. Add the Chocolate Chips to the bowl and melt, stirring occasionally. While you are waiting for the chocolate to melt, cut your candy bars. When the chocolate has melted fully, mix in the oil, stirring until completely combined.
- To cut: Flip the bars out on to a cutting board and carefully peel the wax paper off. Using a serrated knife, cut where the cracker’s seams are. Next cut the Crackers in half lengthwise.
- Dip the bars in the melted chocolate and using a fork, remove them, shaking off any excess chocolate. Place on a wax paper/foil/or parchment lined baking sheet to set up for a few hours. Store in an air tight container.
Similar categories: Desserts