Chicken with Savory Chocolate Sauce
Mario Batali's Chocolate Chicken Mole
- 8 Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Thighs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 small White Onions (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/2 cup Peanuts
- 1/4 cup whole Almonds
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
- 1 Corn Tortilla (charred and cut into 8 wedges)
- 4 large Guajillo; New Mexico; or California Chiles (stems removed)
- 3 large Dried Mulato or Ancho Chiles (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 3 ounces Mexican Drinking Chocolate (grated)
- Cilantro (leaves only; to garnish)
- Lime Wedges (to garnish)
- In a large dutch oven, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken deeply on all sides and remove to a plate. Add the onions, garlic, and cinnamon to the pot and cook over medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the peanuts, almonds, sesame seeds, charred tortilla, and chiles. Pour 3 cups of boiling water over the contents of the bowl and steep for 5 minutes. Remove solids to a food processor and pulse with just enough water to create a sauce-like paste.
- Pour the paste over the onion mixture, and add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Add the chicken pieces and chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chocolate and simmer 2 more minutes. Serve with fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges.