Stuff and fry this dough for a delicious dessert any day of the week
Chocolate Hazelnut Fritters
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Lemon (zest grated)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus 4 cups for deep frying)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons Dry White Wine
- 1/2 cup Bittersweet Chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup Hazelnuts; toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Apricot Jam
- 1 Egg; lightly beaten
- Honey; for brushing fritters
- Confectioners' Sugar; for dusting
- Mound the Flour on a work surface and make a well in the center. Add the Salt, Sugar, Lemon Zest, the 1/4 cup of Olive Oil, & 2 tablespoons Wine, and gradually mix in the Flour. If the dough is very dry, add up to 1 more tablespoon of Wine. Knead for 5 minutes, or until firm but tender. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the Chocolate, Nuts, and Jam and mix well with a spoon. Cover the filling and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out 1/4-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. Place a dab of filling on each circle of dough, moisten the edges with a bit of beaten Egg, and fold each round in half, pressing the edges with your fingertips to seal, or crimp with a fork.
- In a large deep pot, heat the oil to 350°F. Working in batches, fry the fritters until they are deep golden brown. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Brush each fritter with Honey, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chocolate Courses & Meals Desserts Holidays & Occasions Valentine's Day