Spoon up this velvety dessert into a pie crust for an all-new way to enjoy mousse!
Chocolate Mousse Cake Pie
- 3 1/2 cups cream-stuffed sandwich cookies
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces coffee
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cupwhipping cream
- 1 teaspoon flavorless gelatin
Flourless Chocolate Cake:
- 6 ounces chocolate
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup sugar
- For the Crust: Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Break up the cookies into small pieces using a food processor or a zip top bag and mallet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crushed cookies and melted butter using a fork. Press the cookie mixture into the bottome of a 9-inch pie pan. Place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
- For Flourless Chocolate Cake: Raise oven temperature to 350°F.
- Over a double boiler, melt chocolate chips with butter, and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Add the coffee, vanilla and salt, and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, add 6 egg yolks with one cup of sugar, and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to egg mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk whites to soft peaks. Then, fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer chocolate mixture into the baked and cooled crust.
- Place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely. (The cake mixture will fall, making space for the mousse to sit on top.)
- For Chocolate Mousse: Meanwhile, combine the chocolate chips, coffee, butter and rum in a double boiler. Stir to melt and combine.
- Pour the whipping cream into the bowl of a stand mixer, and place both in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a separate bowl, add gelatin and cover with a 1/4 cup of the chilled whipping cream. Place this bowl over indirect heat, just enough to melt the gelatin.
- Let gelatin cool off.
- Add the gelatin mixture to chocolate, and fold in. Beat the remaining cold whipping cream to medium peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate.
- For Assembly: Place mousse mixture on top of cooled flourless cake. (Feel free using your hand to push down the cake to make room for mouse to sit.)
- Garnish with colorful chocolate shavings or whipped cream.