Chorizo Stuffed Dates
Big taste comes in a small package in this sweet and salty bacon covered appetizer!
- step-by-step directions
Chorizo Stuffed Dates
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
- 4 small Shallots (thinly sliced)
- 8 ounces roasted Piquillo Peppers with their juices
- 2 cups Whole Peeled Tomato with their juices
- 3 tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
- 15 Medjool Dates (pitted)
- 1/2 pound fresh Mexican Chorizo (removed from casings; in a piping bag)
- 5-6 slices Bacon (cut into thirds)
- Place a heavy bottomed sauce pot over medium heat. When the pan is hot add a film of Olive Oil followed by the Garlic and Shallot with a large pinch of Salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften and become aromatic, then add the Piquillo Peppers and Tomatoes. Stir until everything is combined and bring the mixture up to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes, until all the flavors combine and reduce slightly. Season with Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper and the Sherry Vinegar. After 30 minutes, puree the sauce until smooth if you prefer or leave a little bit chunky.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the Dates by making a slit down one side. Pipe in some Chorizo and then close up the incision. Wrap with a piece of Bacon and secure with a toothpick where the seams meet.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add a thin layer of Olive Oil. Sear the Bacon wrapped dates on both sides, then remove to a plate.
- Pour the Red Pepper Sauce in to a shallow baking dish and arrange the Dates on top. Place in the oven, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve the crispy Dates with some sauce spooned around and on top.
- If you do not have a piping bag, substitute a zip top bag with a corner snipped off to a 1/2-inch wide opening.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
Prosciutto and Apple Stuffed Chicken Legs with Sauteed Swiss Chard
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicago-Style Polish Sausage