A rolled up sweet dough containing butter, cinnamon, and sugar will satisfy event the strongest of craving for sweets!
- For the Dough
- 1/4 cup Light Red or White Wine
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Instant Yeast; 1/4 ounce envelope
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour; plus more for dusting
- For Assembling the Rolls
- 1/2 stick Melted Butter; plus more to coat pan
- 1/2 cup Demerara or Turbinado Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Warm Water
- 2 Lemons; zested
- To Make the Dough:
- Combine the Wine, Water and Yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the Honey, Salt and the Olive Oil and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup of the Flour and mix with a wooden spoon to make a loose batter. Add 2 more cups of the Flour and stir with the spoon for 2 to 3 minutes to incorporate as much flour as possible.
Bring the dough together by hand and turn out onto a floured board or marble surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until you have made a smooth firm dough. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Set aside to rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes.
- For Assembling the Cinnamon Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Butter a small cake pan and set aside.
On a clean floured surface, roll out the dough using a rolling pin. When the dough is an 1/8 inch thick, pour the Melted Butter generously on top, spreading evenly. Evenly sprinkle the Sugar and Cinnamon over the Melted Butter.
Carefully roll the dough, working away from you. Using a chef’s knife, cut the dough into even slices, about one to two inches thick. Arrange the slices in the cake pan to fill pan as much as possible, with the edges of the rolls in contact with each other. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
- To Make the Glaze:
- While the rolls are baking, prepare the icing by placing Powdered Sugar in a bowl. Pour the warm water into the Sugar and whisk until smooth. Adjust the Sugar and Water until desired consistency has been reached. Add zest and stir to combine.
- Drizzle glaze over rolls to serve.