There is nothing better than the taste of warm, homemade cinnamon rolls!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup sugar (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup warm water (about 110ºF)
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted, plus 4 tablespoons to brush over the formed rolls)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough-hook attachment, combine the yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and warm water. When it begins to foam, add the 1/4 cup sugar, milk, 4 tablespoons melted butter, egg, and salt. Mix to combine. Gradually add the flour and slowly mix until damp, then mix on medium-high speed for 6 to 7 minutes, until the dough comes together. Continue to knead the dough for a few minutes, then put in a large, greased bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled in size.
- For the Filling: Combine the brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- To Assemble: Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-by-18-inch rectangle. Spread the cinnamon-butter mixture over the dough, leaving a 1-inch bare border along one long side. Starting on the long side opposite the bare border, roll up the dough like a jelly roll. Seal the seam by pinching along the uncovered side.
- Cut the log into twelve 1 1/2-inch slices and place in the prepared pan. Cover with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Brush the remaining butter over the top of the rolls. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.
- For the Icing: In a bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla together. Drizzle over the warm rolls when they come out of the oven. Serve warm.
- Tip: Use pizza dough instead of making your own dough for an easy shortcut!
Similar categories: Bread & Pastry Appetizers Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads