Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
Bake and glaze these homemade cinnamon rolls recipe from scratch for the perfect cheat day treat!
- step-by-step directions
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature, beaten)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 orange (zested)
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 block cream cheese (8 ounces, room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- pinch kosher salt
- toasted almonds or pecans (for garnish)
- For the Dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook attachment, add the water and yeast. Sprinkle the sugar over the top and allow to stand for 5 minutes, until the yeast is frothy. Add butter, vanilla, and egg and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt and orange zest and mix to combine. Add the flour mixer to the stand mixer and mix until the dough climbs up the hook and pulls away from the bowl, about 5 minutes. If the dough is too sticky add 1/2 cup additional flour.
- Continue to mix the dough until shiny and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a 13 inch x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray, line the bottom with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- For the Filling: on a floured surface, roll the dough to a 16" x 14" rectangle. Spread the butter over the surface and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture leaving 1/2-inch clean edge on the side furthest away. Roll into a tight log, pinching with each rotation to keep a tight spiral. Using unflavored dental floss, slide the floss under the dough, crossing both ends over the top and quickly pulling to slice. Slice into 12 equal pieces. Place each roll, sliced side up, in the pan, leaving some space between. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- For the Icing: in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add cream cheese and butter and whip until combined. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and whip until light and fluffy. Ice the cinnamon rolls and serve with toasted pecans or almonds on the side.
- Helpful Tips: preheat oven to 200ºF and turn off. Place dough inside the warm oven to rise.
- For clean slicing of dough, use dental floss to cut instead of serrated knife.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Desserts Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads
Cobb Salad Baked Potato
Kielbasa with Beer and Onions
Vegan Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Baked Orzo with Turkey Meatballs
Jamaican Curry Patties
Sweet Potato, Corn and Wild Rice Enchiladas
No-Bake Cheesecake Bites Two Ways
Georgian Cheese Bread
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Hardy's Hearty Lasagna
Pork and Shaved Brussels Sprouts Skillet