Classic Everything Bagels
Have some time on your hands? Whip up these tasty Everything Bagels from scratch!
- step-by-step directions
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour (plus additional flour for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup room temperature water
- vegetable oil (for greasing)
- cream cheese (to serve)
Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted)
- 3 tablespoons dried garlic flakes
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flaky sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, yeast, sugar and salt and whisk to combine. Remove to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Add the water and turn the machine on low speed. Mix the dough until stiff and blended, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to medium and knead for another 3-4 minutes until the dough is smooth, more elastic, but also a little tacky. Remove the dough to a bowl greased with vegetable oil, cover with a damp towel and allow rest for 60 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 48 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove the dough to a floured cutting board and divide into 6 pieces. Using two greased hands, form the dough into a smooth ball. Poke a hole into the center of the bagel with your thumb and carefully stretch the hole to become 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Continue shaping the rest of the dough. Remove the bagels to the lightly floured baking sheet. Let rest for 50 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the bagels in the water and boil for 45 seconds per side. Discard the flour on the lined baking sheet. Grease the parchment on the baking sheet. Drain well and remove the bagels to the baking sheet, sprinkle with everything seasoning. Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm with cream cheese.
- For the Everything Bagel Seasoning: In a small bowl add the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes and flaky sea salt.
- Tip: If you place the bagels in a bowl of cold water and they float, they are ready to boil!
Similar categories: Breakfast & Brunch Bread & Pastry Appetizers Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
Mardi Gras Baked Alaska