Classic Pumpkin Pie
Can't get any more Thanksgiving than this!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus additional for dusting)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup ice water
Fresh Ginger Juice:
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 sugar pumpkin (top removed, halved, seeded, cut into 8 wedges) (makes 2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 12- ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Pie Crust: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add the sugar, salt and flour and pulse until just combined. Add the butter and pulse until pea sized pieces form. Add the water and pulse until the mixture just comes together to form a dough. Remove dough and wrap tightly in plastic and allow to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to soften at room temperature slightly, about 5 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pie dough to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Fit into a 9-inch pie pan, allowing excess to drape over edge. Fold over edges and crimp, using fingers, to create a fluted edge. Set into refrigerator until ready to bake.
- For the Ginger Juice: Place ginger into the carafe of a blender. Blend until finely chopped. Remove to cheesecloth and squeeze juice into a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- For the Pumpkin Filling: Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the sugar pumpkin wedges onto a sheet tray, skin side down. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Increase the temperature to 425ºF.
- Once cool enough to handle, use a spoon to carefully scrape off the skins of the pumpkin wedges, discarding the skins. Remove the roasted flesh to a carafe of a food processor and puree until smooth. This makes about 2 cups of pumpkin puree.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the fresh pumpkin puree, eggs, ginger juice, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, Kosher salt, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Slowly whisk in the evaporated milk. Remove crust from the refrigerator and fill with pumpkin pie mixture.
- Place onto a sheet tray and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350ºF and bake until just about set, with a slight jiggle in the center, about 40 minutes. If the crust is getting too brown, tent with foil. Turn the oven off and open the oven door. Allow the pie to cool in the oven for 15 minutes. This will help prevent any cracks. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely and chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes.
- For the Whipped Cream: In a chilled medium bowl, beat the heavy cream with a whisk until soft peaks form. Whisk in the confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until medium peaks form.
- Slice the pie into wedges and serve each slice of with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Tip: Use any leftover pumpkin pie puree to make a breakfast pumpkin loaf!
rate this recipe
Cedar Plank Halibut with Corn Salad
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip Triangles
Sunday Lamb Roast with Paloise Sauce
Hibiscus and Elderflower Mocktail
Pimm's Royale Punch
Royal Roast Chicken and Bacon Sandwich
Pizza Spring Rolls
Steamed Artichokes with Brie Fondue