Classic Tomato Sauce
Can't go wrong with a classic tomato sauce!
- step-by-step directions
Classic Tomato Sauce
- 2 pounds fully ripened plum tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion peeled, halved)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese(grated, to garnish)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Set up a large bowl of ice water near the pot of boiling water.
- Using a pairing knife, score the base of the tomatoes with a shallow "X" and gently drop half of the tomatoes in the water and allow to boil until the skins start to peel away, about 30 - 45 seconds. Remove from the boiling water and immediately place in the bowl of ice water. Repeat this process with the remaining tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, remove from the water, peel the skins off and discard skins. Cut tomatoes in half horizontally, and remove and discard the seeds. Roughly chop the seedless, peeled tomatoes into coarse pieces.
- In a heavy bottomed enameled pot, over medium low heat, add the tomatoes, butter, and onion halves, stirring to combine. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Season with salt to taste. Remove onion halves.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Drop the spaghetti into the salted water and cook according to package instructions. Add the pasta, along with 1/4 cup of pasta water to the a large saute pan over medium heat. Ladle the desired amount of sauce into the pan, and basil leaves and toss to combine. Serve warm and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Tip: Add the Parmesan rind to your sauce once all the ingredients are incorporated, and remove it when it's done, for a richer tomato sauce!
rate this recipe
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Greek Pasta Salad
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese