Created by Bob Cobb, owner of the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, the Cobb salad became one of the restaurant's most popular dishes in the 1940s. Now you can make this famous salad and delicious dressing yourself right at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 head frisee
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (quartered vertically)
- 2 whole chicken breasts (4 half breasts) poached or roasted/skinned/cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 strips best-quality smoky bacon (cooked until crisp/blotted on paper towels/crumbled)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1 cup Roquefort or other crumbly blue cheese cut into small dice or coarsely grated
- 2 Haas avocados cut into 1/2-inch dice (at the last minute so they don't discolor)
- 1/4 cup finely minced chives
- 1 cup Brown Derby's Old-Fashioned French Dressing (recipe follows)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- BROWN DERBY'S OLD-FASHIONED FRENCH DRESSING (makes 2 cups):
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teapsoon English or Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic (peeled and finely minced)
- 1 1/3 cups French (or other light) extra virgin olive oil
- Julienne or finely chop the iceberg lettuce, watercress, frisee, and romaine, and place in a large salad bowl.
- Arrange the tomatoes, chicken, bacon, eggs, cheese, and avocados in 1 or 2 mounds, each attractively spaced, on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle the chives over all.
- When ready to eat, present the salad at the table, and toss with enough dressing to moisten and flavor. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- FOR DRESSING: Shake all ingredients except for the oil together in a large jar.
- Add the oil and shake again. Set aside for at least an hour before using to allow the flavors to marry. Extra dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Grilled Lamb Chops and Plums with Mint Pesto
Red Velvet Cannoli Cake
Grilled Soy Chicken Thighs with Honeydew Relish
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad