Created by Bob Cobb, owner of the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, the Cobb salad became one of the restaurant's most popular dishes in the 1940s. Now you can make this famous salad and delicious dressing yourself right at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 head frisee
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (quartered vertically)
- 2 whole chicken breasts (4 half breasts) poached or roasted/skinned/cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 12 strips best-quality smoky bacon (cooked until crisp/blotted on paper towels/crumbled)
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1 cup Roquefort or other crumbly blue cheese cut into small dice or coarsely grated
- 2 Haas avocados cut into 1/2-inch dice (at the last minute so they don't discolor)
- 1/4 cup finely minced chives
- 1 cup Brown Derby's Old-Fashioned French Dressing (recipe follows)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- BROWN DERBY'S OLD-FASHIONED FRENCH DRESSING (makes 2 cups):
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teapsoon English or Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic (peeled and finely minced)
- 1 1/3 cups French (or other light) extra virgin olive oil
- Julienne or finely chop the iceberg lettuce, watercress, frisee, and romaine, and place in a large salad bowl.
- Arrange the tomatoes, chicken, bacon, eggs, cheese, and avocados in 1 or 2 mounds, each attractively spaced, on top of the greens.
- Sprinkle the chives over all.
- When ready to eat, present the salad at the table, and toss with enough dressing to moisten and flavor. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- FOR DRESSING: Shake all ingredients except for the oil together in a large jar.
- Add the oil and shake again. Set aside for at least an hour before using to allow the flavors to marry. Extra dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks.
Grilled Cornbread with Blueberry Compote
Grilled Lobster Tails with Lime Basil Butter
Grilled Flank Steak with Blue Cheese Red Onions
Taleggio and Salami Panini
Soft Shell Crab Falsi Testaroli with Lemon Tomato Basil Sauce
Pineapple Foster with Pound Cake
Cornflake French Toast with Fresh Berries and Mascarpone Cream
Cinnamon Pecan Waffles
Easy Poached Eggs with Spinach and Spicy Lemon Oil
Corn Fritters with Scallions