Coq Au Vin Blanc
Michael makes Coq Au Vin Blanc super easy with this simple recipe!
- step-by-step directions
Coq Au Vin Blanc
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound bacon (cut into lardons)
- 1 chicken (cut into 8 pieces, 4 pounds)
- 1 onion (peeled, medium dice)
- 4 carrots (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces on a bias, oblique cut)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, sliced)
- 2 thyme sprigs (picked)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons tarragon (chopped)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken pieces to the Dutch oven skin side down and cook until golden brown and crisp. Flip to sear the chicken on the other side, about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan to a plate. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan, then add the onions, carrots, garlic, and thyme. Add the butter and flour and stir to combine. Season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften and caramelize then add the wine. Reduce the wine by 1/3 and add the chicken stock and bacon. Add the chicken pieces back in, skin side up, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the peas and tarragon and cook until warmed through then serve. Use extra chicken stock to thin out sauce if necessary.
- Tip: The butter and flour mixture is called a beurre manie which is used as a thickener for soups and sauces.
Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaf
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon
Breakfast Carbonara Casserole
Sweet Potato Pierogies