Coq au Vin
Learn to make this classic French dish at home!
- step-by-step directions
Coq au Vin
- 6 ounces Pancetta (1/2" dice)
- 4 pound Chicken (cut into 8 pieces; wings and back reserved for stock)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Flour (for dusting)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots (small dice)
- 2 Celery Ribs (small dice)
- 5 Cipollini Onions (trimmed)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Cremini or Button Mushrooms (halved)
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Red Wine (reduced to 3 cups; preferably Cabernet or Merlot)
- 6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 6 Fresh Parsley Sprigs
- Season Chicken on all sides with Salt and Pepper. Sprinkle flour over Chicken to coat slightly.
- Heat a large Dutch oven with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium. Add Pancetta and cook until browned on all sides, remove from pan.
- Brown the Chicken in batches, starting skin side down, until golden on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the Carrots, Celery, Onion, Garlic and Mushrooms and sauté until softened slightly, about 5 minutes, seasoning with Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Tomato Paste and cook until dark rust in color. Sprinkle in about 1-2 tablespoons of Flour just to coat vegetables.
- Pour in the Chicken Stock and reduced Wine. Tie the herbs into a bundle and add to pot along with the browned Chicken and Pancetta. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Serve warm over Mashed Potatoes or Buttered Noodles.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Holidays & Occasions Valentine's Day Cuisine French
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice