Coq au Vin
Learn to make this classic French dish at home!
- step-by-step directions
Coq au Vin
- 6 ounces Pancetta (1/2" dice)
- 4 pound Chicken (cut into 8 pieces; wings and back reserved for stock)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Flour (for dusting)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Carrots (small dice)
- 2 Celery Ribs (small dice)
- 5 Cipollini Onions (trimmed)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup Cremini or Button Mushrooms (halved)
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 4 cups Red Wine (reduced to 3 cups; preferably Cabernet or Merlot)
- 6 Fresh Thyme Sprigs
- 6 Fresh Parsley Sprigs
- Season Chicken on all sides with Salt and Pepper. Sprinkle flour over Chicken to coat slightly.
- Heat a large Dutch oven with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium. Add Pancetta and cook until browned on all sides, remove from pan.
- Brown the Chicken in batches, starting skin side down, until golden on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the Carrots, Celery, Onion, Garlic and Mushrooms and sauté until softened slightly, about 5 minutes, seasoning with Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Tomato Paste and cook until dark rust in color. Sprinkle in about 1-2 tablespoons of Flour just to coat vegetables.
- Pour in the Chicken Stock and reduced Wine. Tie the herbs into a bundle and add to pot along with the browned Chicken and Pancetta. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours.
- Serve warm over Mashed Potatoes or Buttered Noodles.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Holidays & Occasions Valentine's Day Cuisine French
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal