As summer starts to roll in, consider this dish for lunch, dinner or any event.
Corn Lentil Chili
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 6 Carrots (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 6 ribs Celery (cut into 1/4-inch pieces)
- 2 to 3 Serrano Peppers (stemmed/seeded/minced)
- 3 Cups Fresh Corn Kernels (about 4 ears)
- 2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 28 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes and their Juices
- 1 Lb Bag of Lentils
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (leaves only, chopped)
- Green Onions, chopped, as garnish
- 1/4 cup Brown Rice
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the corn and cook, stirring, until soft and the corn starts to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the lentils, and water, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning, to taste. To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the chili into the bowls over the rice. Sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and serve.