Cornbread and Blueberry Trifle
This Cornbread and Blueberry Trifle is the perfect summer treat!
- step-by-step directions
For the Blueberry Filling:
- 2 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 jar wild blueberry preserves (13 ounces)
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
For the Corn Filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 cups fresh corn
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Kosher salt (to taste)
For the Sour Cream Whipped Cream:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the Trifle:
- 2 pounds store-bought sweet cornbread (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- For the Blueberry Filling: In a large bowl, combine the fresh blueberries, wild blueberry preserves and lemon zest and juice. Using a potato masher, break up with fresh blueberries into a chunky consistency. Set aside.
- For the Corn Filling: In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, fresh corn, sugar and salt. Toss to coat evenly and set aside.
- For the Sour Cream Whipped Cream: In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream and maple sugar until medium soft peaks form. Fold in the sour cream and chill until ready to use.
- For the Sugared Blueberries: Place a baking rack in a sheet pan and set aside.
- In a shallow dish whisk the egg whites until frothy. In a separate shallow dish, add the sugar. Using a pastry brush, brush the blueberries with the egg whites. Roll the blueberries in the sugar until fully coated. Spoon the blueberries onto the baking rack and let sit at room temperature until dry, about 2 hours.
- To Assemble: In a trifle dish, place a layer of the blueberry filling followed by a layer of the corn filling. Top with a layer of sour cream whipped cream and sprinkle with cornbread cubes. Repeat one additional time. Top with whipped cream and garnish with sugared blueberries and crumbled cornbread. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Switch it up and use a pound cake or angel food cake instead of cornbread!
Similar categories: Desserts
rate this recipe
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese