Learn to make this fun fair food at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 8 All-Beef Hot Dogs
- 8 10-12 '' skewers
- 4 quarts Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups Water; plus more if needed
- 1 Egg
- Heat the oil to 360-375°F.
- Whisk together the Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the Buttermilk, Water and Egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes. If the batter seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of Water. Pour some of the batter into a pint beer glass and set aside to reset for 1 hour.
- Skewer all of the Hot Dogs and line them up on a sheet tray. Place the Cornstarch on one side of the tray, and roll each Hot Dog through the Cornstarch, tapping off any extra. Dip each Hot Dog into the cup of batter, then slowly slide into the Oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until very golden brown and crispy.
- Remove to a draining rack or some paper towels and serve with your favorite condiments.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Snacks Holidays & Occasions Game Day Foods
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions