Learn to make this fun fair food at home!
- step-by-step directions
- 8 All-Beef Hot Dogs
- 8 10-12 '' skewers
- 4 quarts Canola Oil
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3 cups Cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups Water; plus more if needed
- 1 Egg
- Heat the oil to 360-375°F.
- Whisk together the Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and Sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the Buttermilk, Water and Egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes. If the batter seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of Water. Pour some of the batter into a pint beer glass and set aside to reset for 1 hour.
- Skewer all of the Hot Dogs and line them up on a sheet tray. Place the Cornstarch on one side of the tray, and roll each Hot Dog through the Cornstarch, tapping off any extra. Dip each Hot Dog into the cup of batter, then slowly slide into the Oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until very golden brown and crispy.
- Remove to a draining rack or some paper towels and serve with your favorite condiments.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Snacks Holidays & Occasions Game Day Foods
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Energy Date Balls
Leftover Salmon Pumpernickel Toast
Indian Spiced Meatballs with Coconut Dipping Sauce