The crunchy sweet crust with a soft custard-like interior makes for a delicious breakfast.
Cornflake Crusted French Toast
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 4 very thick slices Challah or Brioche; about an inch thick
- 3 cup Cornflakes; crushed slightly
- 1 cup sliced Almonds; chopped
- 3 tablespoons Butter; divided
- 2 Bananas; sliced on a diagonal (1 heaping cup)
- 1 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- zest of 1/2 Lemon (if it's a small lemon; zest the whole thing. Start with half and give it a taste first)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together the Eggs, Half and Half, Sugar, Cinnamon and Vanilla.
- Mix together the Cornflakes and Almonds.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- While the pan is heating, dip the sliced Bread in to the Egg mixture and coat it on both sides then place it in to the Cornflake mixture, pressing down slightly and also being sure to coat both sides.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the Butter to the pan followed by 2 slices of the prepared Bread. Brown for about 3 minutes per side, transferring to a sheet tray after. Add more Butter as needed to repeat the process with the remaining 2 pieces of Bread.
- Place the French Toast in the oven for about 10 minutes to finish cooking through and crisping.
- While the French Toast is baking, prepare your syrup; place a medium sauté pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of Butter. When the Butter had melted, add the sliced Bananas in an even layer. Cook, without moving for a minute, until the Bananas caramelize and become golden brown. Gently flip and cook for another 30 seconds on the other side then add the Maple Syrup and Lemon Zest with a pinch of Salt. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer until the syrup is heated through.
- To serve: Slice a piece of French Toast diagonally and spoon some of the Banana syrup over the top and around.