Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Another winner from Carla Hall!
- step-by-step directions
Roasted Apple Base:
- 4 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, sliced)
- 1 cup large golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Sour Cream Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- For the Roasted Apple Base: Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, add apples, raisins, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and butter and toss to combine. Remove to an 8 inch cast-iron skillet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture. Pour the apple cider into the skillet and transfer to the oven. Roast until apples are golden brown and tender but mixture is still wet, about 25-30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- For the Cornmeal Dumplings: In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and lemon zest. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, and buttermilk. Pour into the well of the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
- Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough on top of the roasted apple base, leaving small spaces in between so the top is not completely covered. Transfer the skillet back to the oven and bake until cornmeal dumplings are golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- For the Sour Cream Whipped Cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and beat until medium peaks form. Fold in sour cream.
- To serve, dust the top of the crumble with powdered sugar, scoop a generous amount of the apple dumpling skillet on to plates and top with a dollop of sour cream whipped cream.
- Tip: For a touch more decadence, try this crumble with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)