Cranberry Cherry Crumble
From Mario's book, "America Farm to Table," no one will suspect that under the sweet cranberry-cherry filling lays a smoky, salty bacon crust!
- step-by-step directions
Cranberry Cherry Crumble
- Bacon Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon well-chilled bacon (cut into 1/8-inch pieces)
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 3 cups cranberries
- 2 cups frozen cherries (pitted)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch kosher salt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Almond Crumb Topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup almonds (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- heavy cream to serve
- Pie Crust:
- Combine the flour and salt in a food processor and process briefly to combine. Add the bacon and butter and pulse until the mixture resembles big bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle half of the water over the mixture and pulse 5 or 6 times, pulling the mixture up from the bottom of the bowl. Sprinkle on the remaining water and pulse again 5 or 6 times, briefly, just until the dough pulls together into a ball.
- Put the dough on a large flour-dusted piece of waxed paper and flatten it into a disk about 1 inch thick. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Cranberry-Cherry Filling:
- Combine the cherries, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Almond Crumb Topping:
- Combine the flour, sugar, almonds and salt in a food processor and pulse 7 times to blend well. With the motor running, drizzle in the melted butter -- this should take 8 pulses, max. The topping should look like sandy gravel, not dough. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly flour a 2-foot piece of waxed paper. Place the chilled pastry in the venter of the paper, dust it lightly with flour then roll it into a 12-inch circle. Turn it out over an 11-inch tart pan, center it, and peel off the paper. Tuck the pastry into the pan, pressing it into the fluted rim without stretching it. Trim the overhang so the pastry is flush with the top of the rim. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and pour in the cherry filling, then sprinkle with the almond crumb topping, and "rake" it evenly over the pie.
- Place the tart on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet and put it in the oven. Bake for 1 hour, until bubbling all over.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack and let cool for at least 2 hours before serving, or you will be having soup with a crumble crust.
- Slice and serve with sour cream or softly whipped unsweetened cream, if desired.
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Cherries Cranberries Courses & Meals Desserts Crisps, Crumbles, Cobblers, & More Pies & Tarts Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Cranberry Recipes Christmas Thanksgiving Desserts
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat