Cranberry Sauce Buckle
Carla Hall's Cranberry Sauce Buckle is a quick and easy dessert to bring to your next potluck!
- step-by-step directions
- 6 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 orange (juiced and zested into strips)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus one tablespoon for greasing, room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted and chopped)
- vanilla ice cream
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with one tablespoon of butter and line with parchment paper.
- For the Cranberry Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the cranberries, orange juice and zest, and sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Set aside and let cool completely. Discard orange zest.
- For the Cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, set aside. Add the milk and sour cream to the creamed butter mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients until the flour mixture is fully incorporated. Stir in the pecans and pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Using a half teaspoon, spoon the cranberry sauce on top of the batter and gently push it down into the batter. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream, powdered sugar and additional cranberry sauce.
- Tip: For a fun way to serve after the leftover buckle, slice the buckle into 1-inch thick slices and saute in a pan with a little bit of butter over medium-low heat until warm.
Similar categories: Thanksgiving Sides Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes Thanksgiving Bars Fruit Desserts Thanksgiving Desserts
Stuffed Pork Rack with Kielbasa and Cabbage
Pork and Shrimp Dumplings
Pomegranate Ginger Soda with Mint
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket