Cranberry Sauce Buckle
Carla Hall's Cranberry Sauce Buckle is a quick and easy dessert to bring to your next potluck!
- step-by-step directions
- 6 ounces cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 orange (juiced and zested into strips)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus one tablespoon for greasing, room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted and chopped)
- vanilla ice cream
- powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan with one tablespoon of butter and line with parchment paper.
- For the Cranberry Sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the cranberries, orange juice and zest, and sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Set aside and let cool completely. Discard orange zest.
- For the Cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, set aside. Add the milk and sour cream to the creamed butter mixture. Slowly add the dry ingredients until the flour mixture is fully incorporated. Stir in the pecans and pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Using a half teaspoon, spoon the cranberry sauce on top of the batter and gently push it down into the batter. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream, powdered sugar and additional cranberry sauce.
- Tip: For a fun way to serve after the leftover buckle, slice the buckle into 1-inch thick slices and saute in a pan with a little bit of butter over medium-low heat until warm.
Similar categories: Thanksgiving Sides Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes Thanksgiving Bars Fruit Desserts Thanksgiving Desserts
rate this recipe
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese