Creamed Kale Au Gratin
Michael takes your run-of-the-mill au gratin recipe and ups the healthy factor by replacing the potatoes with kale!
- step-by-step directions
Creamed Kale Au Gratin
- Olive Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 16 ounces Tuscan or Dinosaur Kale (sliced thinly, about 8 cup chopped)
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For the Béchamel
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 cup whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- For the Breadcrumb Topping
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped Fresh Parsley
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place a large sauté pan over medium heat and add a film of Olive Oil. When the Oil is warmed, add the Onion with a pinch of Salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the Onions have softened and then add Garlic, cooking until it becomes fragrant. Next add all of the Kale, stirring to coat with the Olive Oil. Cook, stirring occasionally until the Kale has wilted and become dark green. Set aside.
- While your Kale is cooking, place a heavy bottomed sauce pot over medium-high heat and add the Butter. When the Butter has melted whisk in the Flour. Cook for a few seconds until the Butter is absorbed by the Flour and you have a wet sand mixture. Next whisk in the Milk and Cream and season with a good amount of Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper and some freshly Grated Nutmeg. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the Breadcrumbs, Parsley, Lemon Zest and melted Butter. Set aside.
- Transfer Kale into a baking dish. Pour the Béchamel on top and then top with an even layer of the Breadcrumb mixture. Place in the oven uncovered for about 20 minutes, until everything is warmed through and bubbly. Finish under the broiler for a minute or 2 until the Breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Double Decker Buffalo Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spring Orzo Salad
Swiss Chard and Feta Turnovers
Donut Puffs with Coffee Mousse
Mint Salsa Verde Glazed Smoked Ham
Mint Salsa Verde
Green Bloody Mary with Mint Salsa Verde
Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Pork Sparerib Tortelloni with BBQ Butter Sauce
Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings in Tomatoes
Lightened Up Squash Mac and Cheese
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad