Crispy Bean Burritos
These vegetarian burritos are crispy & delicious!
- step-by-step directions
Crispy Bean Burritos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion (small diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cups corn (off the cob, or frozen and thawed)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained, 15 ounces)
- 3 cups white rice (cooked)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (finely chopped, plus additional to garnish)
- 1 lime (juiced, plus wedges for garnish)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 4 large flour tortillas (10-inch burrito size)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- hot sauce (for garnish)
- salsa (for garnish)
- sour cream (for garnish)
- In a large sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, corn, cumin and cayenne, and cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add black beans and rice and cook until warmed through, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Preheat greased griddle over medium-high heat.
- Divide mixture between four burrito-sized flour tortillas and place the mixture on the bottom half of the tortilla. Top with even amounts of cheese. Roll the burritos by folding the two short sides inwards and hold in place. Roll the filled half of the burrito upwards to form a seam. Brush the outside of the burritos with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Place on the griddle, seam side down. Place a foil-wrapped brick, or other weight, on top of the burrito to press down and repeat with remaining three sides of the burrito. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the griddle, cut in half and serve with hot sauce, salsa and sour cream.
- Tip: add ground beef chorizo or your favorite burrito filling!
rate this recipe
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken