Croque Madame Bread Pudding
Turn a hot n’ cheesy ham sandwich on its head with Michael savory brunch dish!
- step-by-step directions
Croque Madame Bread Pudding
- 2 tablespoons Butter, plus 1 tablespoon for the Pan
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 2 large Eggs
- 8-12 slices Soft Bread (such as Pullman)
- Dijon Mustard (as needed)
- 4-8 thin slices Ham
- Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by coating the bottom and sides with the 1 tablespoon Butter.
- Melt the Butter in a heavy bottom sauce-pot over medium heat. Whisk in the Flour and cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Next whisk in the Milk and Cream and season well with Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper. Bring the sauce to a simmer while stirring and cook for at least 45 minutes. The sauce will thicken gradually. Next, whisk in the Nutmeg and both Cheeses and continue to mix until the Cheeses are fully melted. Give the sauce a taste here and add additional Salt and Pepper if necessary.
- Turn the heat to medium low. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the Eggs. Ladle some of the sauce in the Egg, whisking constantly to temper. Add another ladle of the sauce, in the Eggs, whisk thoroughly, and then add the Egg mixture back into the sauce. Cook for another minute or two, and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread each slice of Bread with a thin layer of Mustard and place, Mustard side up, in the prepared pan. You should be able to fit about four slices nicely on the bottom layer. Next, add about two ladles of the sauce, spreading with the ladle into an even layer. Cover the sauce layer with pieces of Ham. Place four more slices of the Bread over the Ham, Mustard side up. Add two more ladles of the sauce, cover again with Ham, and then place the four more slices of Bread, this time Mustard side down. Pour the remaining sauce over the Bread, and allow to sit at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the Bread Pudding in the oven, uncovered, and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Helpful Tips
1. For a roux, have equal parts butter and flour for a wet sand consistency
2. Only stir a béchamel enough to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Add béchamel mixture to the eggs slowly so the eggs don’t scramble.
4. Let it sit for half an hour at room temperature to set up.
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce