You're gonna end up saying cuban-oh-my after sampling Mario's take on the traditional cuban sammie!
Cuban Sandwich Italian Style
- 2 Fennel Bulbs (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 4 Portuguese Rolls
- Sliced Pickles
- 1/2 pound Swiss Cheese (sliced)
- 1/4 pound Fontina Cheese (sliced)
- 1/2 pound Coppa (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound Roast Pork
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Chianti Mustard Chianti Mustard Butter (for greasing) Chianti Mustard
- 2/3 cup Whole Grain Mustard
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chianti Wine reduced to 1/8th cup
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Calabrese Bomba teaspoon Calabrese Bomba Kosher Salt Calabrese Bomba
- 6 Jalapenos Peppers (stems removed)
- 6 Serrano Peppers (stems removed)
- 6 pickled Pepperoncini (plus 1/4 cup pickling liquid)
- 1 tablespoon Chili Flakes
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onions (chopped)
- 4 Scallions (chopped)
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-low with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the Fennel and season with Sugar and a pinch of Salt. Stir to coat in the Oil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until Fennel is caramelized. Remove to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Heat a griddle over medium.
- Slice open the Portuguese Rolls and begin to build a sandwich. Spread Mustard on the bottom side of the roll. Place pickle slices and cheese on the bun. Top with Coppa, Roast Pork, Caramelized Fennel and Calabrese Bomba. Spread Mayonnaise on the top bun and press onto the sandwich to flatten. Repeat steps to build 3 more sandwiches.
- Generously grease the griddle with Butter and place the sandwich on to heat. Place a foil-wrapped brick on the sandwich to flatten. Cook for 2 minutes or until slightly crunchy then flip and cook on the second side with the brick on top. Once the sandwich is crunchy on both sides remove from heat, cut in half and serve warm.
- For Chianti Mustard: Combine the ingredients in a non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- For Calabrese Bomba: Combine the Jalapenos, Serranos, Pepperoncini and pickling liquid to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and puree until mostly smooth.