Top your waffle with a juicy burger for a twist on classic breakfast food.
- step-by-step directions
- For the Buttermilk Kitchen's 105-Year-Old Sourdough Starter:
- 2 pounds Bread Flour
- 2 pounds Cold Water
- For the Sourdough Waffle:
- 16 ounces Milk
- 8 ounces Unsalted Butter
- 16 ounces Sourdough Starter
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 large Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- For the Burger:
- 8 ounces Grass Fed Ground Beef
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Grape Seed Oil
- 2 tablespoons Beef Fat
- For the Buttermilk Kitchen's 105-Year-Old Sourdough Starter: Mix 1 pound of water and 1 pound of flour to form a smooth paste. Put into a new plastic container cover and let stand in a calm place that has a constant temperature of 50-65 degrees for two weeks. Check periodically for mold and remove if you see some. It should start to bubble after 10 to 12 days. When it's very bubbly its time to "feed" it.
- Reserve 1 pound of bubbly starter and discard the rest. Mix the reserved starter with the remaining 1 pound of bread flour and 1 pound of water. Do this everyday for 1 week and your starter will be ready. When your amount of starter gets low, continue to "feed" it.
- For the Sourdough Waffle (Makes 10-12 Waffles): Heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Let cool to room temperature. Mix in sourdough starter, salt, and brown sugar. Wrap in plastic wrap and hold at room temperature for 8 to 14 hours.
- Add eggs and baking soda before cooking. Heat waffle iron and spray liberally with nonstick spray. Cook until golden brown.
- For the Burger (Makes 1 Burger): Season the beef with salt and pepper and hand shape the patty to desired thickness. Heat oil in cast iron pan until it just starts to smoke. Sear patty on both sides until golden brown. Melt beef fat in the pan and baste until medium rare.
Similar categories: Ingredients Beef Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Waffles, Pancakes & French Toast
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel