These sausages might be hot stuff, but there's no reason to be alarmed.
- step-by-step directions
- Spicy Fruit Relish
- 1 medium Red Chile (seeded & finely diced)
- 1/3 Pineapple (peeled; cored & quartered)
- 1 Mango (peeled & cored)
- 1 small Red Onion (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Pickle Relish
- Hot Dogs
- 4 large Hot Dogs
- 4 slices Apple Wood Smoked Bacon
- 4 seeded Hot Dog Buns
- 8 pickled Jalapeno round slices (drained)
- 1 shot Tequila (for deglazing)
- Ketchup (condiment)
- Mustard (condiment)
- Par-cook Bacon over grill for 1-2 minutes to render some of the fat. Drain and set aside.
- For the Salsa:
- Preheat an oiled grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the Pineapple and Mango slices until grill marked and caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove and let cool, then slice fruit into 1/4-inch dice. Toss in large bowl, with the remaining Salsa ingredients to combine. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare Dogs:
- Using a sharp knife, make a lengthwise cut down the center of the Dog. Cut open the Jalapeno slices and unravel into a long thin strip. Place 2 strips of pickled Jalapeno into the Hot Dog spacing out so it fills the length of the Dog. Wrap each dog tightly with a strip of Bacon and secure with toothpicks at each end to hold in place.
- Preheat a grill (or cast iron skillet) to medium heat. Coat the grill surface with Canola Oil to ensure the Hot Dogs don’t stick; grill until Bacon is cooked through and crisp and Hot Dogs are charred, rotating several times to evenly cook the Bacon – about 8-10 minutes in total. (Optional: deglaze and flambé pan with Tequila!)
- During the last minutes of grilling, split each bun and toast for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove toothpicks and nestle the Hot Dog into the toasted bun. Top with Spicy Relish and serve with Ketchup and Mustard, if desired.