Deconstructed Vegan Pecan Pie
A tasty treat for your vegan friends!
- step-by-step directions
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 sheets phyllo dough (12"X16")
- 1 cup maple sugar
Pecan Pie Filling:
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cups light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 ounces extra firm silken tofu
- 2 cups pecans (toasted, roughly chopped)
Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 15- ounce can full fat coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Pie Crackers: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Place one sheet of phyllo down, spray evenly with olive oil spray and evenly sprinkle 1/3 of the maple sugar over the top. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with 1/3 of remaining maple sugar. Top the 2 layers with the last sheet of phyllo and spray with olive oil and sprinkle the rest of the maple sugar evenly on top.
- Cut the phyllo into 3x4-inch rectangles and place on the prepared baking sheet, you should have 16 squares. Place another sheet of parchment on top of the squares and a baking sheet on top to weigh down the squares. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven, leaving the oven on, and allow crackers to cool. Reduce temperature of the oven to 350.
- For the Pecan Pie Filling: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the vegan butter, dark brown sugar, corn syrup, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 2 minutes more. Stir in the vanilla extract, vinegar and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add the tofu and pulse until smooth. Add the corn syrup mixture to the tofu until combined. Remove filling to a large bowl and stir in the chopped pecans.
- Place six 4-ounce ramekins in a large deep roasting pan. Divide the pecan pie filling between the ramekins.
- Place the roasting pan in the center of the oven and before closing the door, create a water bath by slowly filling the roasting pan with water so it comes about halfway up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake at 350 until the edges of the pie filling is set and the center has a slight jiggle to it, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- For the Coconut Whipped Cream: Remove the can of coconut milk that has been chilling in the refrigerator overnight and scrape the coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can and remove to a large chilled bowl.
- Whisk the coconut cream until soft peaks form and add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to whisk until medium peaks form.
- To serve, top each ramekin with a dollop of coconut whipped cream. Serve with pie crackers on the side.
- To Toast Pecans: In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, add pecans in a single layer. Cook until toasted and fragrant, tossing occasionally to avoid burning, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Tip: Watching your waistline? Substitute corn syrup with maple syrup for a healthier option!
rate this recipe
Skirt Steak with Roasted Pepper Salsa
Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
Orange Beer Spritz
Mint Cantaloupe Slushie
Garlic Parmesan Ranch Chicken with Potatoes
Seaside Crab Dip
Charred Broccoli Salad
BBQ Ranch Chicken Pull-Apart Sliders
Toasted Almond Bons