Dorothy's Fried Chicken
Talk about finger-lickin' good chicken!
- step-by-step directions
Dorothy's Fried Chicken
- 1 Fryer Chicken (4 to 5 pounds); cut into 8 pieces; gizzard discarded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons salt; divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup Ground Black Pepper; divided
- 1 cup Minced Onion
- 1/2 cup Minced Garlic
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 to 3 quarts Vegetable Oil for frying
- 4 Eggs
- 3 cups Milk
- Rinse the Chicken and pat it dry thoroughly
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Chicken, 1 1/2 teaspoons of Salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper, the Onions and the Garlic.
- Toss these ingredients together thoroughly.
- In a container big enough to hold all of the Chicken pieces (a bowl preferably with a top, or a Rubbermaid container with a top, or a bowl that can be covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil), whisk together the Flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons of Salt, the remaining 1/3 cup Black Pepper, the Dried Oregano, Paprika and Chili Powder.
- In a very heavy, large pot or a deep skillet over medium heat bring the oil to 325°F exactly; using an instant-read candy thermometer (a meat thermometer will not measure a high enough temperature.)
- When the oil is heating, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the Eggs, and Milk. Pour them over the Chicken and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the Chicken from the Egg mixture and place it in the container in which you have mixed the dry ingredients.
- Cover the container and shake the Chicken until it is fully coated.
- Remove the Chicken pieces from the bowl and place them again in the Egg mixture, tossing delicately to coat them, but not so much as to remove the coating.
- Put the Chicken back into the dry mixture, cover it, and shake it again. By now there should be a thick coating on the Chicken.
- Add the Chicken to the oil in batches, and fry it until it is light brown, more than golden and the internal temperature is at least 155°F per piece. This will take approximately 8-10 minutes for thighs, a little less for drumsticks and wings, and perhaps up to 15 minutes for breasts. It is very important to maintain the oil temperature at around 325°F so that the Chicken will not burn.
- Drain it on a rack, let it rest for 15 minutes and then serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Fried Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Southern
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw