Dorothy's Fried Chicken
Talk about finger-lickin' good chicken!
- step-by-step directions
Dorothy's Fried Chicken
- 1 Fryer Chicken (4 to 5 pounds); cut into 8 pieces; gizzard discarded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons salt; divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup Ground Black Pepper; divided
- 1 cup Minced Onion
- 1/2 cup Minced Garlic
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 to 3 quarts Vegetable Oil for frying
- 4 Eggs
- 3 cups Milk
- Rinse the Chicken and pat it dry thoroughly
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Chicken, 1 1/2 teaspoons of Salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of Black Pepper, the Onions and the Garlic.
- Toss these ingredients together thoroughly.
- In a container big enough to hold all of the Chicken pieces (a bowl preferably with a top, or a Rubbermaid container with a top, or a bowl that can be covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil), whisk together the Flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons of Salt, the remaining 1/3 cup Black Pepper, the Dried Oregano, Paprika and Chili Powder.
- In a very heavy, large pot or a deep skillet over medium heat bring the oil to 325°F exactly; using an instant-read candy thermometer (a meat thermometer will not measure a high enough temperature.)
- When the oil is heating, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the Eggs, and Milk. Pour them over the Chicken and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove the Chicken from the Egg mixture and place it in the container in which you have mixed the dry ingredients.
- Cover the container and shake the Chicken until it is fully coated.
- Remove the Chicken pieces from the bowl and place them again in the Egg mixture, tossing delicately to coat them, but not so much as to remove the coating.
- Put the Chicken back into the dry mixture, cover it, and shake it again. By now there should be a thick coating on the Chicken.
- Add the Chicken to the oil in batches, and fry it until it is light brown, more than golden and the internal temperature is at least 155°F per piece. This will take approximately 8-10 minutes for thighs, a little less for drumsticks and wings, and perhaps up to 15 minutes for breasts. It is very important to maintain the oil temperature at around 325°F so that the Chicken will not burn.
- Drain it on a rack, let it rest for 15 minutes and then serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Fried Chicken Courses & Meals Dinner Chicken Cuisine Southern
Peach Cobbler with Raspberry Coulis
Havarti and Horseradish Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Spicy Honey Dijon Coleslaw
Spice-Rubbed Smoked Chicken
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Ginger Cinnamon Funnel Cakes
Strawberry Malted Milkshake
Cheddar Pretzel Chicken with Spicy Corn Relish
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers with Feta Bechamel