Carla's doughnuts are perfect for breakfast. Try them for yourself!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (2 envelopes) dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm milk (105 - 115 degrees)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Quart vegetable oil for frying
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 4 tablespons Water (room temperature)
- In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm milk with sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in salt, eggs, shortening, butter, and 2 cups of flour. Mix at low speed in mixer or stir with wooden spoon.
- Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead flour about five minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled or set in fridge overnight.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter or a biscuit cutter if making filled doughnuts. Cover loosely and let dough rise again until double in size.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Carefully slide donuts into oil. Turn donuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- For the Glaze: Mix together the confectioners sugar and water until smooth. Coat the donuts while still hot and allow to cool on a drying rack.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads
Lemon-Sage Compound Butter
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce
Grilled Veggie Burrito with Quinoa
Kale Pesto Naan Pizza
Almond Banana Bread
Carrot Ginger Soup
Shrimp and Plantains in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Energy Date Balls
Leftover Salmon Pumpernickel Toast
Indian Spiced Meatballs with Coconut Dipping Sauce