Carla's doughnuts are perfect for breakfast. Try them for yourself!
- step-by-step directions
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (2 envelopes) dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm milk (105 - 115 degrees)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Quart vegetable oil for frying
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 4 tablespons Water (room temperature)
- In a large bowl sprinkle yeast over warm milk with sugar and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Stir in salt, eggs, shortening, butter, and 2 cups of flour. Mix at low speed in mixer or stir with wooden spoon.
- Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead flour about five minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a cloth. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled or set in fridge overnight.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter or a biscuit cutter if making filled doughnuts. Cover loosely and let dough rise again until double in size.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°F. Carefully slide donuts into oil. Turn donuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- For the Glaze: Mix together the confectioners sugar and water until smooth. Coat the donuts while still hot and allow to cool on a drying rack.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads
rate this recipe
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs