Dried fruit isn't just for a rock hard loaf of holiday bread anymore, it can also be used for an amazing Italian condiment perfect for serving on a crusty piece of bread!
Dried Fruit Mostarda with Grilled Crostini
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1/2 cup Prepared Mustard
- 1/4 cup Mustard Seeds
- 4 Dried Figs (cut in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup Dried Apricots (cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup Dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup Dried Apples (julienned)
- To serve
- Olive Oil
- 1 Baguette (sliced in 1/2-inch slices at a bias to make crostini)
- Over high heat, combine the Sugar and Red Wine and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to low and whisk in the prepared Mustard and Mustard seeds until completely combined.
- Add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep it from burning. Transfer to a serving bowl or jar and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Once ready to serve, preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Brush the Crostini with Olive Oil and grill for a minute per side, until toasted with lightly charred grill marks.
- Serve with grilled Crostini.