You'll think twice about ever going out for a BBQ chicken sandwich again after taking this one for a test drive.
Drive Thru Challenge Chicken Sandwich
- For the Chicken
- 1/2 pound Chicken Tenders (or thinly sliced cutlets)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- For the BBQ Sauce
- 8 ounces Pop
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- Garlic Clove (smashed)
- 1/2 Red Onion (cut in chunks)
- For the Romaine Slaw
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ShaSha Sauce or Mustard Relish
- 1/2 head Romaine Lettuce (thinly siced)
- 1/4 cup Pickled Red Onions
- 1/4 cup Roughly Chopped Cilantro
- For Assembly
- 8 ounces Blanched French Fries or cooked French Fries
- Pullman Loaf (1/2-inch slices)
- Deli Ham slices
- Swiss Cheese slices
- For the BBQ Sauce: Combine all ingredients over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer, stirring often, cooking for at least 15 minutes. Strain out the solids and set aside. Season with Salt to taste.
- For the Chicken: Season the Chicken with Salt and freshly ground Pepper. In a cast iron pan over medium-high heat, add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil and once shimmering, add the Chicken, and cook until 3/4th cooked through on the first side. Flip over and cook until the pieces are just finished. Remove pan from heat until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- For the Slaw: Combine the Lime, Mayonnaise, and ShaSha Sauce in a large bowl and mix into a smooth dressing. Season with a pinch of Salt, and then add the Romaine, Pickled Red Onions, and Cilantro. Toss everything to coat and check seasoning once more.
- For the Sandwiches: Preheat oil to 370°F. Add the French Fries and fry until very crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with Salt.
- Move the pan with the Chicken back onto the heat. Add the slices of Ham and cook until crisped. Top with Swiss Cheese and allow to melt. Once melted, add the BBQ Sauce to the pan (you can reserve some sauce to use later if wanted.) Once it boils, remove from the heat and assemble the sandwiches.
- Place one Pullman slice in front of you and top with Pickles. Place two or three Chicken tenders and a slice of the Ham and Cheese over the pickles and spoon some extra BBQ sauce over the meats. Top with a spoonful of the Slaw and top with Fries. Place the second slice of Pullman over the Fries and enjoy.