Andrea's chicken salad is especially tasty when served with a side of fried plantain chips!
Ecuadorian Chicken Salad
- 1/2 chicken (breast, spine and leg)
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 1 rib celery (chopped)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- water (to cover)
- 2 Russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 large red onion (sliced)
- 4 juicy limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons salt (plus more to season dish)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 Roma or 1 large beefsteak tomato (diced)
- 1 handful cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 hardboiled egg
- olive oil
- 2 green plantains (peeled and sliced lengthwise; 1/8-inch thickness)
- vegetable oil (to fry)
- For the Chicken: Combine everything but the potatoes in a stock pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer, cook for 45 to an hour, until chicken is cooked through. 20 minutes before finished, add potatoes, cooking until fork tender.
- Drain, reserve and dice the potatoes, and shred the chicken.
- For the Salad: Combine the onion and salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the lime juice, and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the bell pepper, tomatoes, egg, potatoes, marinated onion, chicken, and a splash of olive oil and toss to coat. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- For the Plantain Chips: Heat 1/2-inch of Oil in to 360°F. Fry the plantains until crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with Salt.
- Serve the chicken salad with the plantain chips.