Andrea's chicken salad is especially tasty when served with a side of fried plantain chips!
Ecuadorian Chicken Salad
- For the Chicken
- 1/2 Chicken (breast; spine; and leg)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Green Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 1 rib Celery (chopped)
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- Water (to cover)
- 2 Russet Potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- For the Chicken Salad
- 1 large Red Onion (sliced)
- 4 juicy Limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons Salt (plus more to season dish)
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 2 Roma or 1 Large Beefsteak Tomato (diced)
- handful finely chopped Cilantro
- 1 Egg (hardboiled)
- Olive Oil
- For the Plantain Chips
- 2 Green Plantains (peeled and sliced lengthwise; 1/8th-inch thickness)
- Vegetable Oil (to fry)
- For the Chicken:
- Combine everything but the Potatoes in a stock pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer, cook for 45 to an hour, until Chicken is cooked through. 20 minutes before finished, add Potatoes, cooking until fork tender.
- Drain, reserve and dice the Potatoes, and shred the Chicken.
- For the Salad:
- Combine the Onion and Salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the Lime Juice, and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the Bell Pepper, Tomatoes, Egg, Potatoes, marinated Onion, Chicken, and a splash of Olive Oil and toss to coat. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- For the Plantain Chips:
- Heat 1/2-inch of Oil in to 360°F. Fry the Plantains until crispy. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with Salt.
- Serve the Chicken Salad with the Plantain Chips.