Pork Shoulder Pizza with Black Beans, Jalapenos, and Jack Cheese
Pizza Brain's Esteban Destino Pizza
- 1 12- ounce Dough Ball
- 1 Pork Shoulder
- 5 ounces Black Beans
- 1 bottle of Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Red Onion (chopped or sliced)
- 2 Jalapenos (sliced)
- 6 ounces Jack Cheese (grated)
- 4 cloves of Garlic (minced)
- 1 Lime
- 1 bunch of Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 pinch of crushed Black Pepper
- 1/2 ounce Cornmeal
- For the Pork: Preheat your oven to 425°F. Place your pork on a clean work surface, skin-side up. Get yourself a small sharp knife and make scores about a centimeter apart through the skin into the fat, but not so deep that you cut into the meat. If the joint is tied, try not to cut through the string. Rub salt right into all the scores you've just made, pulling the skin apart a little if you need to. Brush any excess salt off the surface then turn it over. Season the underside of the meat with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Place your pork, skin-side up, in a roasting tray and pop in the preheated oven. Roast for 30 minutes, until the skin of the pork has started to puff up and you can see it turning into crackling. At this point, turn the heat down to 325°F, cover the pork snugly with a double layer of tinfoil, pop back in the oven and roast for a further 4 1/2 hours. Take out of the oven, take the foil off, and baste the meat with the fat in the bottom of the tray. Let the shoulder sit and cool for about an hour. Carefully lift the pork up and transfer to a chopping board. Chop the pork.
- For the Pizza: Preheat your oven as high as it will go (your oven likely tops out at 500-550 degrees Fahrenheit) with a stone in the oven during the pre heat. Dust your work surface with cornmeal. While the oven is pre heating, stretch your dough out until it’s approximately 12 inches in width. Place your dough onto your pizza peel.
- Put the black beans on the dough with the juices. Add about an ounce or two of hot sauce, depending on your preferences. Add the garlic and black pepper to the hot sauce and black beans. Spread mixture around the pizza, leaving about 1/2-inch around the dough unexposed. Put the jack cheese evenly on the pizza. Evenly distribute the onions and jalapeños on top of the cheese. Put approximately 5 to 6 ounces of prepared pork shoulder on the pizza.
- Slide pizza onto the pizza stone in the preheated oven. Bake until crust is golden brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Pull the pizza out of the oven and put onto a clean cutting surface. Juice 1 half of a lime on top of the pizza. Cut the pizza into 8 slices with a knife or pizza cutter. Finally, add the chopped cilantro (to taste) on top of the pizza. Enjoy!