West Coast's Alex Padilla serving up a tasty dish!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 red onion (peeled, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds)
- 5 pounds ground skirt steak
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 ounces Oaxacan cheese (pulled)
- 1/4 cup garlic butter (recipe below, divided)
- 10 challah bread buns or brioche buns
- 1 tablespoon chipotle mayonnaise (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup avocado (sliced, to garnish)
- pickled carrots (to garnish)
- potato wedges (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 head of garlic (top removed)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 5 Russet potatoes (scrubbed, rinsed, and cut into wedges)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 3 carrots (tops removed, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 8-10 cracked black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried chile de arbol
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 and 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup store-bought pickled jalapenos
- For the Fajita Burger: Preheat the grill pan to medium-high heat and a cast-iron griddle pan to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, add poblano pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, toss to coat and set aside.
- Transfer poblano pepper to preheated grill pan and cook until lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, use a paring knife or a vegetable peeler to peel the skin off the pepper and discard. Remove stems, seeds and ribs and discard. Cut flesh into 1/4-inch strips and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add onion and drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, toss to coat and set aside. Transfer to grill pan and cook until softened with grill marks, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground steak, flour, eggs and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Using hands, mix until just incorporated and form into ten, 1/2-pound patties.
- Place patties onto preheated griddle pan and cook, turning halfway through, until medium-rare, about 8 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking, evenly sprinkle cheese amongst the patties. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Reduce griddle pan to medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of garlic butter and melt. Add poblano and onion, and stirring occasionally, cook until they are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush inside of buns with remaining garlic butter and place, cut side-down on griddle to toast until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To Assemble: Using the back of a spoon or an offset spatula, spread chipotle mayonnaise over both sides of buns. Place cooked patty on top of the bottom bun and top with onions and peppers. Finish with top bun.
- Serve with sliced avocado, potato wedges and pickled carrots.
- For the Garlic Butter: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add butter, garlic and parsley. Mix on medium speed until fully incorporated. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Roasted Garlic: Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- On a work space, lay out a small sheet of foil. Place garlic in center and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the edges of the foil around the garlic to cover. Transfer to oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the cloves are tender and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside. When cool enough to handle, unwrap and gently squeeze cloves out of their peel. Discard peel and set aside.
- For the Chipotle Mayonnaise: In the carafe of a blender, add roasted garlic, mayonnaise, and chipotle pepper. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the Potato Wedges: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with a baking rack and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes, butter, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and bake until golden brown and crispy, abut 45-60 minutes.
- For the Pickled Carrots: Place the carrots in a large heatproof bowl. In a large saucepan, add olive oil, oregano, basil, peppercorns, bay leaf, chile de arbol, vinegar, water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the salt dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in pickled jalapenos. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the carrots and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Tip: Store pickled carrots in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 month!
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)